The Great WALT DISNEY

"If you can dream it, you can do it."

"I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter."

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Only Thing that Seperates Us From the Homeless...a Shower

Whilst trying to come up with a real great plan for New Years Eve in Cali, Robbie and I were searching the internet and saw an ad for the Rose Parade. The ROSE PARADE! That's it! I've been several times with my family when I was younger and I always liked it, but we would just get up at about 5 a.m. and head to Pasadena where we had seats that my Grandpa used to purchase through the Elks Club...good times.
Both of my parents are from Pasadena and at times, earlier in history, lived so close to the parade route that they could walk down in the morning and catch a pretty good view of the floats. So, you know, Rose Parade nostalgia lives in the family.
I somehow talked Robbie and Jessica into heading down there at 1:30 a.m. with jackets, blankets, games, chairs, and pillows to camp out a prime spot. Wow...in our excitement, I don't think we realized how long 6 hours is when it is the middle of the night, real cold, and the only thing between your body and sidewalk is a thin blanket. Good thing Carrie lent me ALL of her jackets, thanks Schmoop! I had on 6 layers.
This was the real low point...about 5 a.m.

Jess did better with the sleeping than we did...

It was happy once the daylight came and especially when the parade started! I did fall asleep in my chair for a little bit of it though! I was finally warm enough and exhausted. Here are a few floats that I loved:




4 comments:

Torre said...

Those floats are amazing! Was it worth the wait?

Lisa Lou said...

I laughed so hard at the first picture of the hobos. and your gloves blend in too!

Natalie said...

Looks like you had 50%(cold, tired)of the BIG four(cold, tired, hungry, and about to wet your pants.) Then again, maybe you had 100% of the big four! I miss you guys. Sorry i couldn't come. I love your face.

Carrie said...

I still can't believe you guys did that. It was SOO cold!!!! Party animals :) Wish I had anything to loan you that was actually warm! D'oh! :) Xoxo and I'm glad that Lisa used the word hobos in her comment.