The Great WALT DISNEY

"If you can dream it, you can do it."

"I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter."

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."

Friday, January 23, 2009

11 year old boys...

I'm actually an expert. I know them and I know the well. Some people have other talents, but unfortunately one of mine is the mastery of the 11 year old boy. I can read their minds, anticipate their every move, and know exactly what they will love to do or hate.I have complete control over them, like puppets. Obviously they have different personalities and some are more mature or more kind than others, but many things are constant across the board. I actually love the 11 year old boy, they're hilarious. I would prefer to be with one at a time, instead of 17 in one room. I thought I would share just one tiny moment of my life being surrounded by these creatures...

This week for writing we made "How to..." pamphlets. The activity started a couple days ago with me making a PB&J sandwich in front of them, following their instructions exactly...which led to a ripped hole in the sandwich bag, a stabbed slit in the top of the PB jar lid, etc. Not because that is what they wanted me to do, but because I was trying to make a point about giving detailed instructions. "Stick the knife in the peanut butter" is what they got if that is what they said to do next. Anyway, (this is something the 11 year old boy LOVES, by the way) the assignment was then to write exact instructions for how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. That led to the next assignment of choosing something they were an expert at and making a pamphlet of directions for How to....whatever. How to french braid, how to brush your teeth, how to put in a contact, how to paint your nails, etc. The typical 11 year old boy moment I want to share is to do with How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich...

Taylor chose that for his pamphlet. Today we shared the finished products in front of the whole class. Because I know them all so well, I knew exactly what would happen when Taylor got up to share his pamphlet. Colored nicely, fun pictures and title on the front, great diagrams inside and some instructions. I was actually excited for the laughter that I knew would roar when he got to step 5.

Step 5: Cut the cheese

I had prepared for the insane laughter from the boys, the tears from Taylor's eyes as he laughed-realizing for the first time the double meaning in his Step 5 , MY laughter at them, and of course...the fart sounds from the boys mouths throughout the classroom. What I didn't prepare for was the LENGTH of this laughter and the inability to move on...until I was forced to get pretty stern...lol This is my life folks. This is my sad sad life.

6 comments:

Brynn said...

I think that is hilarious! I'm glad you deal so well with 11 year old boys. I can't stand them. I think from ages 6-13 I will be sending my children off to boarding school. Oh, and when Kirk had that assignment, he did how to plunge a toilet, and it was brilliant. Probably one of the best essays I've ever read.

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome teacher! I've seen you with them and those kids really like you.

Carrie said...

I love it love it, and I still laugh at cut the cheese. I have 11 yr. old boy humor. That will probably come in handy in my life. You need to write a book "what to expect with the 11 year old boy"- I would totally buy it!

Lisa Lou said...

hahaha!! yeah, I like the part where you wrote "we all have talents" and your's is 11 year old boys. Hahaha!

Torre said...

Maybe you'll have to give me some pointers. I don't have a clue about 11 year old boys, and quite frankly, I don't care for them either!

Josh, Kim & Kids said...

I miss that life desperately!